Used woodwind and brass instruments were found to be heavily contaminated with a variety of bacteria and fungi.
Learn what those dental words mean.
Get dental news feeds delivered directly to your desktop! more...
Allergic reactions that occur in the dental office may be caused by materials or medications. These allergens may include:
Latex. Latex can be found in many medical or dental supplies and devices, such as masks, gloves, and syringes. Unlike some consumer goods made from synthetic latex, natural rubber latex is derived from a milky substance found in rubber trees. Some individuals have developed hypersensitivity to proteins derived from natural rubber latex, which can cause allergic reactions. If you are allergic to latex, ask your dentist if he or she has latex-safe products available for use during a dental procedure or surgery.
Local anesthetic. Local anesthetics are used to numb your mouth and gums when you undergo certain dental treatments. Although allergic reactions to local anesthetics are rare, they can occur. If you have had reactions to local anesthesia in the past, be sure to tell your dentist before you undergo any treatment. Your dentist can find alternative ways to anesthetize you to prevent any adverse reactions.
Reviewed: January 2012
Home | InfoBites | Find a Dentist | Your Family's Oral
Health | Newsroom | RSS
About AGD |
Contact AGD |
Privacy Statement |
Terms and Conditions
© 1996-2015 Academy of General Dentistry. All